How to watch baseball?
(Part 2 of 3)
Getting Players Out
1. During the game, the
from one team pitches the ball to a
on the opposing team.
2. The pitcher's goal is to
the batter. The batter has
before he is out.
3. There are three ways for a batter to get a
- The pitcher pitched the ball into the
and the batter does not swing.
- The batter swings and misses.
- The batter hits the ball into foul territory -
(Oddly, if the batter already has two strikes, additional hits into the foul territory do not count as anything. He can keep hitting.)
4. If the batter
the ball, then he can try to run to 1st base, then 2nd base, then 3rd base, and then home plate.
5. As the batter is running, the pitcher's team tries to get the runner
. The players on the pitcher's team are called
. And the fielders can get the runner out in three ways.
- If a fielder catches a batter's ball before it hits the ground, then it's a
- If a fielder has the ball in his glove and touches the player running between bases, then it's a
- If a fielder has the ball and touches base before the runner does, then it's a
<<< The Gist of the Game
Few More Things to Watch For >>>
Neither, National News Only
in addition to our regular newsletters, we offer a weekly local newsletter in Chicago or SF
Subscribe to Newsletter
CLUTCH © COPYRIGHT 2016. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.